Monday, August 26, 2013

Sarah... and Sonja...

Even in the times when my faith seems too small for the needs of life... He is holding me and growing me.

When I think of Sarah and Abraham, and how in their old age they conceived not only a child, but the child who would lead to future generations of children, I am so encouraged.

The lesson:

If He did it for Abraham and Sarah, He will do it for me.

I heard David Jeremiah on this subject a few weeks ago, it was spot on.

Sarah laughed at the promise of God that she would have a child... until she did. All the while, God had chosen Sarah to perform His miracle. He built her faith as she went through life, years later, she delivered Isaac.

I  see myself in this story. 

When I would doubt and almost laugh at the future, as Sarah did, based on where she was, and on where I am... God says NO... I am still at work, and I have many promises yet to be fulfilled through your life.

Did Sarah deserve it? 

Do I deserve it? 

Did it ever depend on either Sarah or Sonja? 

NO...

It's so amazing when God gives us a view into His heart.

God understands me when He sees that I desire more faith, deeper faith, and He sends a reminder to my heart of someone He carefully chose so long ago, Sarah. 

As He chose Sarah, He has also chosen Sonja... and you.

Do you ever get encouraged by the fact that God chose (and chooses) ordinary WAY less than perfect people to fulfill His plans? I sure do. If they were all saints that never had a doubt or made a mistake, it would never make God as real to me as it does when their stories are just like mine. 

It always goes back to who God is, not who I am, 

He continues to do His thing in me... in spite of me.


13 comments:

Sharon said...

Sonja, I loved your message today. The last few days I have been rather discouraged by the fact that I just keep getting older! And, sometimes I translate that into *un-usable* -

Thank goodness that God sees things differently. Yes, I LOVE that He chooses the most ordinary, unlikely people to accomplish His purposes. I guess it's so He gets the glory, huh?!

GOD BLESS!

(Remember an elderly gentleman by the name of Moses? Seems God had a plan for him late in life...)

;)

Sandy said...

I keep making the same mistake and taking my eyes off of Him when it's all about who He is! I don't have to do anything except receive His wonderful love and grace. This was so encouraging, Sonja.
Hugs~

manthano said...

THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT.

Debbie said...

Oh how I love that He uses ORDINARY every day life people to do great things through. I always think of Peter and all the quick anxious thoughts he had, how he denied he even knew Jesus when he was asked, even though he walked with Him everyday of His ministry, and saw all those miracles first hand. And yet he still ran and hid and had to be rebuked etc. And yet just look how Jesus used him! Gives us great hope huh? loved this post!

Maryann said...

I like Debbie think of Peter. Talk about always saying or doing all the wrong things and yet look how God was able to use him...I am so glad it doesn't depend on me

Maryann said...

I like Debbie think of Peter. Talk about always saying or doing all the wrong things and yet look how God was able to use him...I am so glad it doesn't depend on me

Debbie said...

I would say it was "funny" that you wrote on this topic because it's something that has been on my mind and heart so much lately. (It's one of the reasons I struggled with whether to keep blogging. I feel old, to tell you the truth, and that old feeling has made me feel as if I have never accomplished much of value, for the Kingdom or otherwise. I'm having failure fatique. )

I need the reminder that God still uses us in that old age and that he uses the most ordinary among us, just like me.

I have more to say but I think I'll say it to the One who knows what it is I'm TRYING to say.

Debbie said...

I would say it was "funny" that you wrote on this topic because it's something that has been on my mind and heart so much lately. (It's one of the reasons I struggled with whether to keep blogging. I feel old, to tell you the truth, and that old feeling has made me feel as if I have never accomplished much of value, for the Kingdom or otherwise. I'm having failure fatique. )

I need the reminder that God still uses us in that old age and that he uses the most ordinary among us, just like me.

I have more to say but I think I'll say it to the One who knows what it is I'm TRYING to say.

Debbie Petras said...

I am so thankful that the characters in the Bible are flawed humans, like us. God can choose us despite ourselves. I long to love Him more and grow deeper in my faith. And yet I too stumble. But He picks me back up and continues to grow me despite me. Amazing love!

Thank you Sonja for this timely morsel of wisdom.

Love you,
Debbie

Farm Girl said...

so well said. Thank you Sonja!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning SONJA!

The good news is that no matter where, what, who, when....HE IS FAITHFUL! I often just WONDER at the fact that first of all, He gave me a soul....MY NAME, YOUR NAME...we are written in the book of life, and nothing can separate us from Him. Isn't that incomprehensible, and yet, faith is a miracle, because when faith crops up in us, it gives us peace and we KNOW in our hearts.....what a miracle it all is.

Thank you my dear for coming to visit; I am very behind on my blogging because this week I'm at teacher meetings!

MUCH LOVE and go out and HAPPEN! Anita

Vee said...

Exactly! Thank you for the reminder. I'm sunk without Him!

Just a little something from Judy said...

"In spite of us" is such an humbling phrase. I am so thankful for His amazing grace in my life. I am so thankful for the way He uses people like Sarah and like you, my friend Sonja, to help teach and encourage people like me. This was well written and full of truth. Reminds me of what my dad would tell us often, "that apart from God, you can do nothing." It is all Him!