Friday, November 1, 2013

Friday morning fun...

I'm aiming for a glitter free Christmas! 

I know it's only November 1, but I'm thinking ahead.

I was in Hobby Lobby this week, (50% off of everything Christmas) with a stem of red ornaments in my hand. I turned around and stuck it back in the bin. It glittered like crazy, and of course, so did my hand when I got rid of it.

Every year, I am still vacuuming tiny shiny bits of glitter clear into August, that tiny shiny stuff hides, and then appears again later...

I love the sheen and shine of glitter, but it is such a mess. If there is anything glittery within 10 feet of me, it finds me. I can't tell you how many times I've looked into a mirror doing my makeup and there it is... a red or green dot of glitter on my face, stuck there like glue.

You know I always look for a lesson in things, here's my 2 cents about glitter.

All that glitters is definitely not gold...

Lots of things that are shiny and catch our eye may be better off left where we found them, before they 'attach' themselves to us... :)


12 comments:

Sharon said...

I like the look of glitter, but it drives me crazy. Seems like for a month after I touch it, someone is still saying, "Hold on a sec. You've got some glitter by your eye."

No, glitter is not gold - and we do well to remember that in real life, too.

GOD BLESS!

Debbie said...

WOW...LOVE that analogy! Soo true! And I am right with you on the glitter at Christmas time. I bought some glitter wrapping paper ~ it WAS pretty ~ but I was MONTHS AND MONTHS and still find a sparkle here and there. NEVER again, lol. Enjoy your week-end Sonja!

Farm Girl said...

I am a glitter fan. I can't help it but I like the sparkly. I think I am part crow.:) It is a good reminder though. Now when I go to buy my things with glitter, I will laugh to myself about you. I like that. I have a fall wreath on my front door, there must be glitter spray on the leaves. I was spraying the porch off and the sun hit the wreath and I stood there staring at the sparkly leaves.
I never get glitter most of the time because of babies. They like glitter too. I loved this Sonja,

Vee said...

I like glitter. But I do get the analogy.

Sandy said...

I like the analogy, too. I also like the look of the glitter but it is such a mess especially when two little dachshunds start tapping at the ornaments on the tree.

manthano said...

Amen and AMEN.

Debbie Petras said...

I'm not into glitter either. It is messy! I can't believe how quickly stores begin to advertise for Christmas. I'm still processing that it's the first day of November.

Love you,
Debbie

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I am a glitter sister too, Sonja! Anything that shines catches my eye and holds me in its clutches!

I have another blogger/glitter sister and we are believers. We often wonder what we are going to do when we see the TRUE LIGHT that will sparkle forever, and no clean up needed! WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good evening my dear! Thank you for coming on over to my post! Isn't it stunning what God has done, to give us so much to take in and then tell about it? Enjoy an extra hour of sleep! Anita

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Sonja, a superb post and how very, very true, on both accounts. In fact, I saw some glitter on one of our "hardly used" sofa pillows today and I know it is from last Christmas. Goodness, it does stick around forever. Happy weekend!

Maryann said...

I love the analogy Sonja, I can't tell you how many times I have stopped and put my hand in that "bin of glitter balls' when I should have just kept walking.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

true, true...my daughter is the glitter girl
I made it to Canton...three and half hour drive...traffic was horrible. It meant we only got four hours of shopping in, not enough time! I will have to go back in the spring.