Sunday, March 16, 2014

New every morning, or every other morning...

If I had written a blog last week, it would have been titled...

Worn out

I was in central Texas helping our son and his family move into their new home. Oh please Lord... may we never have to move again!

It is so consuming, and exhausting, and they also have a 1 year old and a 2 year old in the big middle of it all!

Maybe because he has been a pastor in a small town, people have given them a LOT of stuff! A big part of this move was 'the culling of the stuff'... 

I came home not knowing I was tired. But then it hit...

I know that His mercies are new every morning, but as we get into these years that are not 'spring chicken', those 'new mercies' seem to kick in about every other morning. Where we used to cure everything with a good night's sleep, now it seems to take 2, or more. 

The mercies  of God are there every morning, but it takes a day or 2 longer to realize them!

It is such a good feeling to be organized. That's what they are aiming for in this move. Every bin is labeled and stacked in part of the garage, the rest of it is... gone! Sometimes the biggest mess of all is the process of organization. Everything has to be pulled out and viewed, then a decision made, keep it or get rid of it.

So much like our lives. 

We've all seen times in our lives when God is chiseling, and wants us to get rid of some of the 'stuff' that clutters our hearts. When we stop hanging on to some of that mess, our load is lighter and our hearts are freed.

It always shocks me to see how much 'stuff' accumulates, in my life and in my home. 

When my mind and heart are clear and clean, my home and my life seem to function with better order too.

Any big loud 'amen's' out there??






11 comments:

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh AMEN!! I haven't been blogging because I too was just too tired and also needing to organize, clean out and adjust! I am soooooooooo glad His mercies are new everyday.
I hope they enjoy their new place.
Rest!!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, I'm so with you. I'm in Kansa helping my daughter And family prepare to move. We're cleaning out and getting rid of stuff before the movers show up in May. Thank goodness the company is moving them. Yes, it is harder to recover and I'm so glad I will not be participating in the actual move.

Great post!

Debbie said...

Oh AMEN here in California too. I think as we girls went through all of mom's "stuff" I got a great big dose of it's time to weed out some stuff around here. And that's just in the literal sense. My heart is needing a good old fashioned cleaning out as well. Great post Sonja!

Vee said...

Oh me! And you are so right about it taking longer to regain our energy. Saying a prayer for your son's new location. May all the family get settled in easily and well.

Joy said...

Amen:)
I can relate to you when it comes to doing something and have to rest dobbel time.
anyway, I liked collecting things too, but now I dont have a place for them:)

Kathleen said...

Earlier I was reading Psalm 92, & the verse that says "(The Righteous) will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green ...", had me shaking my head. I totally get the bearing fruit part, but the fresh & green? Not so much.

The other thing that comes to mind as I read you post is how glad am I that we've moved so many times in our 47 years together. I've whittled down my stuff, making it easier to navigate. Some things were really hard to part with, but I can't now remember what they were, or why.

Rest, sweet friend. I'm certain you'll have the vigor to tackle many a task yet future.

Sandy said...

Praying for you, Sonja, to get a new wind of strength and vigor! How nice that you were able to go and help your family move. A one and two year old? Delightful!

Sharon said...

AMEN!!

You will know how this post spoke to me today - for you know the struggle that I am having lately to be vigorous about anything.

Interesting, my mom has decided that she wants Lamentations 3:23 - "Great is God's Faithfulness" - on my dad's headstone. What a great verse in the middle of a terrible time. And yes, I am grateful for that daily manna that I so need for my soul. Without it, my soul would starve.

Praying for both us - may God infuse us with HIS strength.

GOD BLESS!

Debbie Petras said...

I love how you always find a spiritual lesson for us in the midst of day to day experiences. However, moving is really not day to day I guess. Moving with little children brings more challenges. You're such a good grandma. And thank you for the lesson.

Love,
Debbie

Just a little something from Judy said...

A hearty "Amen" from my part of the world. Moving and organizing, while helping with toddlers must have been so taxing. I could feel the tiredness as I read each word. You have such a special way of sharing life lessons.

myletterstoemily said...

You MUST be exhausted even still! Since
our three youngest hop back into the
nest for a few days here and there, I've
left their rooms as they were in high
school. Those chicks are 22, 24, and 26.
SO last night I began culling their rooms
to make them more neutral guest rooms,
since we seem to always have guests.

It feels SO great!