Thursday, February 26, 2015

Thoughts on trophy's...

I sat and watched the Oscar's on Sunday night. I am not a huge movie buff, but I like the dresses and it's fun to see who is wearing what, even to see how 'old' they are looking.  

This is a crowd that is new to me for the most part. I didn't even know who many of them were. I DID know Julie Andrews and it was such fun to see her, she looks great after all these years.

There were some really good moments. I was shocked to see Lady Gaga singing songs from The Sound of Music. She did an amazing job, she has a gifted voice, I never knew that. I also was moved to tears by John Legend's Glory performance. It was beautiful. 

When it was all over... I said to myself... "where is God in this?"...

God wasn't visible at all... political and social statements were made without apology, but I don't think I heard God mentioned one time. I know that there are Christians in Hollywood, but this whole night did not reflect that. 

It made me sad. It was such a reflection of how many in this life are 'winning' trophys and awards that will be gone so soon. 

Eternity seems like an afterthought.

I remember years ago reading Catherine Marshall's book "Beyond Ourselves". The first words of the book said...

"The search for God begins at the point of need."

I also was reminded that the lost of this world, in Hollywood and everywhere else, are exactly the ones that Jesus gave his life for... 

I was one of them... until I knew who Jesus was, and accepted him as my saviour... I was as lost as anyone.

Tullian Tchividjian said it so well, in talking about the cross...

"Jesus came and did all of that for bad people, because bad people are all there is."

There is a whole world out there who doesn't know Jesus yet. I can slide into complacency way too easily. The world around is demanding. Life can distract us and dim the real purpose and goal...

I want those who don't know that God is real, to find him, to know the peace of an eternity that is coming, and to find the true purpose and meaning in this life.

So I am convicted and challenged in my own walk, to be alive and aware of opportunities all around me, and to share that hope... 

The clock of life is ticking...

8 comments:

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Sonja, what a profound post and such truth!

Saleslady371 said...

Beautiful thoughts here, Sonja. I watched too and was touched by Lady GaGa's singing. Hollywood displays a totally different world view than mine and I, too, can't help thinking the thrill of winning an oscar is temporary, but the reward of salvation is eternal. It makes me thankful for Jesus and motivated to reach out to others,too, and share the truth.

Sharon said...

And the Oscar goes to Sonja - for the best telling of the Truth!!

I didn't watch the show, but I confess to having a subscription to People magazine. And yes, I enjoy reading about different people, and looking at their clothes, etc. But like you, I also feel so sorry for them. They are so caught up in the trappings the world has to offer - money, fame, superficial beauty. They're lost.

Yes, let's keep our eyes and hearts open to every opportunity that God gives us to tell others about His saving grace.

GOD BLESS, friend.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I like seeing the dresses as well (or what's left of them ...); it does seem to be an atmosphere void of God. I wonder about those feelings of emptiness that surely accompanied the evening at different points. God has set eternity into the hearts of his people - and like you, I pray that the sacred light would warm the hearts of those who are walking through this life without Him! He's everything ... He's my next.

peace~elaine

Just a little something from Judy said...

You are a beautiful, vibrant vessel for the Gospel, and I think you share God's amazing grace in such a vivid way! I love your heart and your desire to share your God with the world. I really appreciate Tullian Tchividjian's comment, and that is what gives me hope for all those who were on the award show. I especially pray for Lady Gaga, because God lays her on my heart. We serve an awesome God and He continues to draw those in the world, to Himself. What a well written post!

Thank you for your thoughts and your inspiration. Running the race with you...

Debbie Petras said...

Oh Sonja, you echo my heart! In this age, it seems to be the age of celebrity. Everyone seems to 'worship' the famous and imitate them. My heart aches for the lost. After all, I was once lost but so thankful He found me and saved me. I watched parts of the Oscars for much the same reasons you did.

Love you,
Debbie

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I didn't watch the Oscars, but I totally agree with your heart and I am convicted. Thanks for posting.

Oh the other side...is it snowing over there again? Hi from over here in ice again.

Anonymous said...

My name is Tanisha Davis, i want to thank my friend for showing me the way to Berit Magical Temple where all my sorrow was turn to joy. I was in a relationship for 12 years and suddenly a mistake came into it from my side, i could not conceive any baby but i tried to beg my man telling him that every thing will be alright but he refuse to listen and he left me for another woman every day i cry for for thing to change but no change. Until my friend told me about a spell caster that help her when she was having the same problem like mine, but i did not believed in her, cause i don't also believe spell caster until i choose to accepted it. This woman told me what i need to do, so that my man will come and i will conceive a child after doing them my man came back to me to apologize the way this spell caster told me and am five months pregnant now and we are both happy now. I am using this opportunity to inform you all that this is the greatest thing that have ever happen to us. contact and trust in her cause, with her all your problems will solve, please contact the great woman through his email address: beritmagicaltemple@gmail.com