Sunday, October 18, 2009

"Notes" from my Dad...

When my dad went to heaven in 2001, we were all so blessed to come together for his memorial service in southern California. One of the things we did together was go to his office where his books were EVERYWHERE... just as they had been in our home, all through our life. My mother used to say she had to 'make a path' to walk through dad's study. In all of his books, as we began to look and decide where they should all go, were his notes.... underlined... thoughts added ...prayer requests... scripture... and his heart... on page after page. In the drawers were the little scraps of paper and notes, written through the years of his life, including prayers for us as his children. I remember as a child, dad was always jotting things down. The only time he didn't have his pen and paper ready was when he was preaching. If anyone else was preaching, the heart of the message went into his notes.

They would fill many books, and they filled his life.... and enriched his ministry and his walk with God. And in turn, our lives as his children are richer and fuller, as we watched and learned...In my bible is a page from his notes, hand typed by dad on his 'hunt and poke' old typewriter, words given to Joe and I at our wedding by dad...

"This is a happy day, a crowning day for both of you. It seems to me that the rest of us have come to see 2 strands of love interwoven in your wedding tie today- a kind of double romance. We have watched. We have seen your human love take shape along with the divine love of Christ in your hearts. They are not the same, and the one is not a substitute for the other. But, they are married. They are one. They make the divine triangle of love complete. This makes your marriage for me as a father and as a minister a double blessing.

Sometimes it has been said, "Love is 50/50, but Christ shows us a better way. The trouble in our society today is that too much is only on a 50/50 basis, half hearted and divided. Life is not half and love is not half, it is not 50/50, it is 100% both ways! Forgiveness is not 50%, it is 100%, and many times you will both give in 100%. This is the life of love. Keep everything on a 100% basis, with nothing between. Share your secrets together, your joys and your sorrows, your trials & triumphs.

I would like to give you a very wonderful verse for this your wedding and your life together. Matthew 18:19 "If 2 of you shall agree on earth as touching anything they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven". ...If I could give you a check for a million dollars today, it would not compare with what Christ gives you in this verse......"

Once in awhile, I get this paper out and re-read it. Words from the loving heart of my father... and words for a lifetime!

3 comments:

Debra said...

Those were some very special, loving, and wise words from your father. What a gift! Blessings!

Kathleen said...

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your dropping by for visits. Now that I'm home from our lengthy vacation I'm hoping to get caught up, and to visit all my new blogger friends.

By the way, your picture is so lovely! It isn't often we get to see such an open expression - - no doubt one that's as prophetic as it is pretty.

Blessings,
Kathleen

P.S. I love that your Dad still speaks to you!

GwendolynKay said...

I appreciate your stopping by my blog and leaving such kind comments. Blessings!
Gwen