Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Discipline and Obedience...

Discipline is an area I always am working on, it is one of my least favorite words! When I ignore discipline in my life, or get too busy to practice it...it always catches up with me, everything from how I use my time, to what I choose to eat, to what words I say...


Our good friend, Dr. Harold Sala, in his new book, "When Your Heart Cries Out to God", says..."Discipline and obedience are two sides of the same coin, and frankly, there are not many coins bearing the stamp of these two qualities in our pockets and purses these days.".... God's standard is unchanging... discipline and obedience are inseparable."


He is so right! It is so easy to be 'too busy'.... or 'maybe later', and that discipline area becomes disobedience. It's pretty clear when we realize that lack of discipline is also disobedience to God. That thought sort of jerks me up by the boot straps and says "get on with it!"

Harold also says...'When you learn to discipline yourself, life moves progressively toward accomplishments you otherwise could not achieve."

The result of discipline and obedience in our lives is just exactly the person we want to be anyway.... but it does not come easily, it is one step at a time and one day at a time, often we are changing the patterns and habits of many years...BUT... God has already promised us that HE IS SUFFICIENT, that HIS STRENGTH IS MADE PERFECT IN OUR WEAKNESS. Amazing Grace!!!

No comments: